I kept true to my vow of more sewing with a project that’s been popping up everywhere; the Summer Blouse from Heather Ross’s amazing Weekend Sewing that I treated myself to a few weeks ago.
- It’s very comfy. Michelle and Alex gave me this fabric for my birthday last year and it’s got a nice stretch.
- Even though I worked on this obsessively yesterday I really took my time with the details and redid things if they looked crappy contrary to my usual slovenly process.
- There are no collars or buttonholes or many other little details to slow you down.
- The print is a bit much here, I think.
- Despite my best efforts at taking my time, my machine was stitching a little wonky and I only had dark brown thread so it still looks a little amateurish. C’est la vie I guess.
- The pattern needed a lot of mods to look decent on me and would need a lot more to be super wearable. The sleeves are freakishly long, the body is pretty short and wide and the neck is really high. I redid the sleeve hem a few times, eventually cutting off about an inch and a half and doing a wide hem and they’re still long. I have them rolled up three or four times here. I ended up unpicking the wide hem recommended in the pattern and doing a very narrow hem to make it an acceptable length but next time I would add at least another two inches. The original neckline looked crappy on me so I simply used my french curve to cut a scooped line and reattached some of the bias binding. This would have been a major headache if there was a collar.
- The contrasting bias binding took me hours. I hate making my own bias binding.
- I don’t think I would make this again because it’s not very flattering on me but if I did I think I would splurge and by a cute Liberty Tana Lawn print like the one used in the book, or this adorable one model Jess Yarnmonster used or this one that I’ve been coveting like crazy. I used to think Liberty prints were very Laura Ashley circa 1992 but I’m definitely coming around.