You may remember me saucily hinting at a summery quilt in the works back in July and then seemingly abandoning the project.  The truth is I ran out of batting, then when batting was secured I realized I had no safety pins, which then took weeks to arrive, and then I held out for a walking foot.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned about living in a remote area it’s that running out of supplies is not an easily rectified problem.

Well, wait no more! Set your clocks back to summer because the Darla quilt is finally done.

It measures about seventy by fifty-four inches.  Not that we own a Double or Twin bed.

The Tanya Whelan fat quarters were sent by Melina in June, the white cotton for the sashing and backing and the binding fabric (from the Sweet line by Urban Chicks) were purchased at Fabric Depot in Portland in a total panic because I could not for the life of me recall what the fat quarters looked like at all. I think they match pretty well despite my poor planning.

I hate to chop up fabrics I really like so I chose to leave the pieces pretty much whole, using the Avalon pattern from Material Obsession (also from Melina!) for the front.  The pattern in the book was quilted all over in a random floral pattern but I don’t have the right machine foot for that nor the skills.  Instead, I stitched a foots length on either side of the rows, making a sort of double ditch.

I’m still not completely convinced that quilting is a craft I’m well suited to.  But, I still have a few fat quarters of my beloved  My Folklore fabric (which has apparently been discontinued!)  and a bit of coordinating linen so I may tackle a small baby quilt and then I quit! For now.

Advertisements